Welcome to the Library & Study Centre
Library & Study Centre Manager : Ms Anna Morton
When is the Library & Study Centre open?
Monday - Friday, 8.15am - 3.30pm
How many books can be borrowed and for how long?
3 books may be borrowed for 3 weeks. Hopefully students return their books on time but reminders are regularly put in the tutor group registers. We do ask students to either replace or pay for lost or damaged books.
Library & Study Centre Resources
A variety of resources are available:
- Reference, fiction and non-fiction books
- A daily newspaper and magazines
- 10 networked computers with a black and white printer
- Topic research boxes for use in the classroom
Information Research Skills
The Year 7 'Learning to Learn' programme is supported by the library. Students undertake a research programme in the library where they have the opportunity to use the library resources and to practice their independent research skills - note-taking, skimming and scanning, how to search effectively on the internet for information etc.
Supporting Reading for Pleasure and Literacy
Students are encouraged to keep reading anything and everything.
- Quiet Reading Library lessons for Year 7 & 8 Classes are held every fortnight in the library. This provides the opportunity to read quietly and to choose books to take home.
- Reading Lists are provided to support reading choice. We also use an online website 'Lovereading4schools' to publish book lists online.
Please click on the'Reading Lists' page to see these.
- Accelerated Reader is a reading programme which is used by the English department and supported by the library.
Please click on the sidebar to read about this in more detail.
- The Reading Challenge Cup is given to the House which scores the most Reading Challenge Award points every two terms. The Reading Challenge Awards can be earned by taking a Library book out, using the Word of the Week, writing a book review and taking part in the Reading Challenge Cup competitions.
Word of the Week changes every week. Click on the sidebar to see this week's word.
- Special Events are held throughout the year to celebrate reading and literacy. Roald Dahl Day is celebrated in September and World Book Day in March. Our Readathon raised over £500 in February 2019 .
The Creative Writing Group
- The group meets every Tuesday lunchtime 1.10pm to 1.55pm upstairs in the library to just enjoy writing and letting our imaginations take flight. Everyone from any year is welcome.
Writer in Residence
Local author (and Warriner teaching assistant) Philip S Davies runs the group every Tuesday. He helps our young writers develop their creative writing skills and they give him feedback on his new book.