Gold DofE 2020 - Year 13
Please click here to see the article written by the students about their Gold expedition in Dartmoor.
We have been bowled over by the grit and determination that these Year 13 students have shown towards completing their DofE Gold expedition in October half-term. Looking at the photos and reading the article by the students. It does not really show the ghastly weather that they endured! When we read the assessors comments after, we were so proud of their achievements. Well done all of you and a special congratulations to Seb and Olie who have totally completed their Gold DofE award - amazing. We know that others will be following in due course – sorry that some of the students have had to postpone their residential from this year due to Covid-19, but we know that when it is safe to do so, you will be completing your award too. We hope that the rest of the students will gradually complete their Gold award, so that they can look forward to their presentation at the palace sometime in the near future.
Mrs Wood (DofE Manager) & The Warriner School Staff DofE Team
We have very much enjoyed supporting you with your DofE journey and hope that you will all complete the award. If you have not finished before you leave The Warriner School, don't forget you have until your 25th birthday to complete it and I will continue to support you once you have left school. Below, I have put some help sections to hopefully guide you getting as much done with your Gold award, before you go onto University/Further Education or work and leave The Warriner School.
expedition section to finish
- Make sure that you have entered the details for your practice and assessment expedition, even though they were back to back!
- Write in your group goal and your personal aim and ask me to approve them
- Ask your team members for the information to put here, or message me for help
- Finally, once you have put the information onto eDofE, you will be able to read the personal assessors report that Ocean Rock wrote about your expedition - well worth reading - they certainly made us very proud of your achievements.
your activities have come to a standstill due to lockdown
Please do not worry. It is never too late to pick up or start a new activity and it may be the focus that helps you through lockdown to find a new interest:
- Check out the DofE complete activities list to see if there is something that you like the look of. Don't forget if it is a new skill, use "You Tube" to find out more, or ask and I can try and point you in the right direction.
- Check out the variations that DofE have set so that it is easier for you to complete the award whilst in your own home. We know how difficult it is for you:
- https://www.dofe.org/thelatest/volunteer-social-distancing/ - https://www.dofe.org/thelatest/volunteer-for-family/
- Do one section at a time - remember your parents can sign your activity log, but cannot be your assessor - Tutors, teachers and neighbours will be happy to do so.
your assessor has left/changed for your other sections
If you have changed your assessor/activity, as long as you are keeping a good record on your activity log and the activity fits in the same category (email me to check if necessary), you can ask your Tutor, or teacher to be your assessor. Please remember that the assessors report must match that of the assessor on your planner, so you may need to ask me to unapprove your planner so that you can change it and ask me to approve it again.
If you have not got an activity log, please let me know as we can sort this out - no problem.
finished activities - assessors report required
You do not need to get your paper assessors page, from your participants pack signed by your assessor. This can be done via email - very easy to do and if this is where you are stuck, you could complete sections really quickly:
- Upload your activity logs to your eDofE page and any other evidence that you have. (IF you do not have your activity log, email me as I can help with this)
- Email your assessor with the evidence and the activity logs. Please note, the assessor does not have access to your eDofE area. Also, email them the following information filling in the relevant information to identify what they are assessing:
- Website Link to send to assessors with the details:
Participants ID Number: XXXXXXXX
Section: Voluntary, Physical or Skill
- The assessor will complete the report online and this will come straight to me. I will check that I can see your activity log and assessors report and sign off the section. Do this for each of the three sections to complete your Certificate of Achievement.
overload of Dofe information - apologies!
I apologise for a lot of information, but the students are all at different levels, so I am trying to focus on the main problems that students and parents are emailing me with. It is absolutely no problem to email me: DofEManager@warriner.oxon.sch.uk - if I am honest, email me if you have a problem, we can sort it out quite quickly this way.
I would like to think that DofE may give the students some focus to do during lockdown, which will give them something different to do other than school work and to use the time at the weekends. I am sure that the voluntary activities make a massive impact to the community, friends and elderly and no doubt the students have brightened their day and helped them through this difficult time. Perhaps consider continuing with the DofE activities, even if you have them signed off with DofE?
Don't forget that there is loads of information on your eDofE too under resources and also check out the expedition section in preparation for when we can get outside again.
A MASSIVE WELL DONE TO YOU ALL -
STUDENTS AND ALSO THE PARENTS!
Thank you also to the members of staff who are assessing the students
and running training sessions when they can.